Cerebral palsy is a collection of neurological disorders that affect body movement and muscle coordination caused by damage or abnormalities in the developing brain.
Symptoms can include: lack of muscle coordination, involuntary movements, learning difficulties, seizures, delayed growth and development, impaired vision, hearing loss, speech disorders, excessive drooling, and a number of other symptoms.
Inadequate training, improper use of equipment, and ineffective policies can all lead to serious birth injuries. This type of medical negligence can result in permanent lifelong injuries to a child. Some examples of birth injury negligence that can cause cerebral palsy include:
- Failure to identify or properly treat an infection in the mother during pregnancy can cause cerebral palsy. For example, left untreated, meningitis and sepsis can cause permanent brain damage to the child.
- Failure to identify a prolapsed umbilical cord which prevents the baby from getting enough blood and oxygen
- An abnormal fetal heart rate can indicate oxygen deprivation. Cerebral palsy can occur when there is a failure to properly monitor the fetal heart rate before and during birth.
- Failure to schedule and/or perform a cesarean section when necessary
- Improper use of birthing tools such as forceps or an extraction vacuum
Settlements and Compensation
While no amount of money can make up for the harm caused to your child, a financial award can ensure that your child’s life is as comfortable as possible. We fight to ensure that families have everything they need to provide for their child, whether that includes short-term care or lifelong treatment.
New Mexico Birth Injury Lawyers
If you believe your child’s birth injury was caused by a medical mistake, contact our attorneys to discuss your situation. You do not owe us any legal fees unless we settle or win your case. Set up a free, no obligation, consultation today at 877-544-5323.
Our attorneys are listed in The Best Lawyers in America ®, and have received an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell law directory, which is the highest distinction given. Many have been recognized by Super Lawyers ®– lawyers “who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.”